Description and Benefits:
Turmeric is a spice which has always attracted attention of professionals from medical and scientific fields due to its multiple beneficial effects. Curcumin is the main curcuminoid found in turmeric. Curcumin is also responsible for rendering yellow colour to turmeric. The majority of the beneficial effects demonstrated by curcumin are due to its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It acts both by targeting multiple signalling molecules as well as by working at the cellular level. Inflammation is a common symptom of many chronic diseases such as Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis, epilepsy, cardiovascular diseases, cancer, diabetes, colitis, obesity, depression, psoriasis, asthma, allergy and acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS). Curcumin inhibits a number of inflammatory molecules such as tumour necrosis factor and interlukin-12. Due to its antioxidant property it prevents damage to cholesterol. In spite of its innumerable benefits, poor bioavailability of curcumin has been a major concern due to its poor absorption and rapid elimination from the body. Addition of piperine, a major component of black pepper, increases its bioavailability by up to 2000%. Keeping this fact in mind, VHLC has come up with a product Curcumin Capsules having a combination of curcumin and piperine, which can offer maximum benefits in optimum doses. Curcumin has been recognized all over the world for its multiple benefits and has been used in various forms to obtain maximum effect. Major benefits offered by Curcumin Capsules are listed below:
- It Improves the level of the brain hormone responsible for the growth of new neurons, and hence, helps in fighting various degenerative processes in the brain including Alzheimer’s disease.
- It helps to reduce the risk of diabetes probably by increasing insulin secretion and serving as an efficient treatment option for the side-effects associated with the disease.
- It causes several changes on the molecular level that may help in preventing (and perhaps even treating) cancer
- It has beneficial effects on several factors known to play a role in heart disease.
- It helps in the treatment of chronic inflammation known to be a promoter of many common ailments.
- It has demonstrated efficacy, as good as Prozac (fluoxetine), in alleviating the symptoms of depression & arthritis.
The recommended dosage for adults is 2-3 Capsules with warm water before breakfast or before dinner. Please consult your physician for more accurate assessment of your dose according to your disease and condition.
Each 500-milligram capsule contains:
What Research Says
What Research Says:
Various clinical and preclinical studies over the last few years have demonstrated the efficacy and safety of curcumin in different diseases and in different population. Following are the studies along with their results suggesting efficacy of curcumin in different diseases:
- Various studies in patients with osteoarthritis (OA) and rheumatoid arthritis (RA) have shown curcumin to have beneficial effect. A study comparing curcumin with ibuprofen in patients with OA revealed that curcumin is associated with fewer gastrointestinal issues with similar efficacy as with ibuprofen suggesting that it can be used as an alternative to non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) in OA.
- A study comparing curcumin with placebo indicated that curcumin significantly reduces pro-inflammatory factors in patients with metabolic syndrome leading to improved insulin sensitivity, reduction in circulating C-reactive protein, and lowering of cholesterol and other harmful lipids.
- Due to its action on multiple signalling targets, curcumin has demonstrated efficacy against many types of cancer in different clinical studies. Curcumin has been found to be effective in combination with other anti-cancer agents for the treatment and prevention of cancers such as colorectal cancer, breast cancer, pancreatic cancer, prostate cancer, multiple myeloma, and lung cancer.
- Few studies in mice and humans have demonstrated that curcumin can be useful in preventing brain ageing and thus development of neurodegenerative diseases.
- In clinical trials, curcumin has also been found to be safe and effective in treating postoperative inflammation.
- Various animal studies have indicated that curcumin reduces cholesterol and triglycerides thereby reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Curcumin has also shown anti-bacterial, wound-healing and anti-microbial activity in different research studies.
Frequently Asked Question :
Q: Curcumin is present in turmeric, so why can’t we use it directly (in form of turmeric powder)?
A: The bioavailability of curcumin is very low when used as turmeric powder and thus it would not be as effective as Curcumin Capsule.
Q: What is bioavailability?
A: Bioavailability is a scientific term which indicate the extent of absorption. It can be defined as the percentage of drug available/absorbed in the blood for showing its effect.
Q: Can curcumin be helpful for healthy individuals also?
A: Due to its preventive action, Curcumin Capsules can be used by healthy individuals. Studies have revealed that use of curcumin is associated with improved attention and memory. It also has potential to reduce total cholesterol and low-density lipoproteins (bad cholesterol). Studies have revealed curcumin reduces muscle soreness caused by exercise.
Q: Can these capsules cause any harm?
A: Turmeric has been used as a kitchen ingredient for thousands of years in India. Curcumin has demonstrated safety and efficacy over a long period of time. However, it may cause side effects such as diarrhoea, nausea, headache, rash and yellow stools. If you face any of such symptoms, please consult your physician.
Q: Are there any precautions to be taken with this medication?
A: Curcumin is used for multiple conditions. The precautions may vary according to the disease and its condition. Please consult your physician for more information.